Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Big City vs. Little City

I have been thinking of doing this type of post yet wanted to get my thoughts together, yet then again I am the type that tries to rap on top of my head.  Even when I watch episodes of Jerry Springer (online, not at home), I get this idea.  When I was growing up in Hot Springs, I knew I wanted to venture out & see what else was out there, a key reason why I decided to get my education at The University of Memphis.  I got to see the differences in Hot Springs & Memphis, it was the size, but because of the size, it was easier to see other things & variations as well.

 

But also, I have seen how people react in these different environments, with both the job market, in relationships, and just being yourself.  Now its already a given; being in a bigger market often mean more jobs & better jobs.  I have stayed in a smaller market, there are more slim pickings & a lot of jobs around here are more about who you know than what you know, that is even how I landed my present job.  I had people here shocked that I was a black man w/ an education, & turned their backs w/o doing their background check on me, keep in mind I came back to HS to keep a lookout on my family.  But recently I have been getting more & more people telling me that my mom & sis would be fine w/o me, so I am venturing out other options outside of the city.

 

Also w/ relationships & being yourself, it does go hand in hand.  Some people in smaller cities may feel they don’t have other options, so they go for the best option that is around.  Yes, I heard numerous times because Im from Arkansas, I have a taste for women in my bloodline lol.  I know that Jerry Springer is somewhat fake, but I have known those type of situations to happen where family members fought over people to date.  In a bigger market, people have that confidence that they are gonna meet someone that will be their match & someone that the family likes.  Also seen it here where theres more interracial dating happening in a small town because it’s the easier option & you are lonely, more likely in a bigger population, if you go into a interracial relationship, its because you have chemistry w/ that other person.  Basically, a lot of people in smaller towns are not as comfortable being by themselves because there is nothing much else to get into.  But myself going from a small city to big city, my taste in women has improved.  Most of the women I have dated the past 10 or something years have goals for themselves, also most of them either had a college degree or was pursuing one.  I want to date a woman that is happy w/ themselves, not one that has low self-esteem.

 

Now w/ the 3rd point is how Im closing out: Some people feel that they could be a better person if they went to a bigger city or be themselves.  I remember watching a talk show where a guy came out as gay to his live-in girlfriend, we also saw his boyfriend that he was undercover w/ & he told him that since he lived in a small town, he couldn’t be the person he actually wanted to be.  I am a heterosexual person, but I understood the point in this.  Opportunity wise, it would be cool to move to a larger environment, but relationship & self wise, you gotta be honest w/ yourself.  What I want to tell people in small cities is that you deserve that right to be happy, yet you have to realize that w/ venturing out, you understand you will have someone that is meant for you, you don’t have to fight someone for someone who is suppose to be your soulmate & you don’t have to settle in a bad relationship, just staying until hopefully something better comes along; be happy w/ being single.  Sometimes if you can focus more on improving yourself than being in a relationship, the right relationship will come to you.  You also have that right to be yourself & you have to be strong to be yourself & who YOU want to be, if you are saying you have to go to a diff city to be yourself, you are not really that strong of a person.

 

Deuces, but really 5’s lol.  That’s all for today

No comments:

Post a Comment