Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tired.........but a Good Tired (Marketing)

I know I've been going off & on of my blogging, yet just been having some interesting times these few days.

I was able to take the 2nd half of the day off from work today to attend a Business Expo here. I had a few friends & associates I met up with, and also some people from the Chamber of Commerce I worked with for the Blues Festival a while back. One of my former co-workers now works w/ a marketing firm & travels throughout Arkansas helping businesses do marketing to the entire state. My dad's old friend was there & we talked to each other for a few, asked me if I wanted to go with him & his son to a U of A game coming up. Also ran into some companies that remembered who I was because I sent them my resume a few months back, one of them want to contact me about a future job. But with all of this, the key thing is Im able to put myself out there to meet people. I know its hard out there to get a job, yet if you not gonna expose yourself to people, who gonna know you? I dont know what the situation in each city is, but my advice is to market yourself. One key way is to get involved in community events, not just for black people but for other races as well. As mentioned earlier, Im involved w/ the Blues Society, me & another guy are the only 2 black guys in it, yet the people are cool & they even gave me info on whats going on w/ their respective companies. Some of your city groups & special interest groups may have people that work in good places throughout your city. Also, sites such as LinkedIn could help, but face-to-face is a good advantage as well. I had to jump on a close friend of mine because all he was doing all day was going to a company's website to fill out an application while playing video games, did no marketing to people whatsoever. Also, read your local newspaper for local events going on.

JUST BECAUSE THINGS ARE TOLD TO BE HARD DOESNT MEAN YOU SHOULDNT TRY!!!!

Bout to go ahead & vamp out, going to take my little sister to get her hair done for Homecoming. I thought it was gonna be last week yet I just had it confused w/ back-to-back home games. I know she getting tired from her first homecoming because her, my mom, and her friend were up late at my mom's house trying on dresses they brought from some of the stores. Also still trying to get a costume for this month's festivities, doing the month long "Magic Screams" event, as well as gotten an invite to a Masquerade ball & may talk my sis to doing trick or treating because I want the free candy lol. If you like neosoul and/or old school music, check this out: J-Finesse Podcast

No comments:

Post a Comment