Monday, June 27, 2011

Hill Harper’s Letters to a Young Brother

Gotten a chance to read Hill Harper’s Letters to a Young Brother, actually just finishing it reading it bit by bit, day after other day. Im actually impressed by it, giving life lessons through letters to a boy learning to be a man. What I liked about the book is that it tells of self-improvement, these days we like to blame other things on who we are & why we act the way we act. I also like the fact that he tells his own experiences as examples of the advice he writes. He mentioned that when he first went to Brown, he first was just focused to be an NFL player, he ended up taking a Shakespeare class to fill his schedule and his acting career started from there. But he tells us to live life to the fullest as well. Even when things & certain goals change, we should still be active & staying confident in ourselves. Every opportunity we get, even if its not something big or good, can lead us to something bigger in the future, so we can embrace it & be thankful for it instead of being mad at where we are at the moment. I myself have already been taking certain steps: I am now exercising more & trying to eat healthier, reading more books, making a change in music from Rap & R&B to NeoSoul, even researching to take the Series 7 Exam to be a stockbroker one day. In the next few years, I want to buy my own house, and in the future, want to buy property & retire in New Orleans. Things might change but Ill still be working for what I want. He does tell about dreaming & thinking big as well. I know people keep talking about greek picnics, yet I want to do something out of the original: Making plans to attend London for the 2012 Olympics, be there when Team USA plays basketball & track. But reading the book has also made me see something in myself; I have two things about myself that Im still embracing. One, Seeing things from certain angles. Sometimes I may see things that no one else see & might be odd w/ other people seeing what I say. I remember the other day on Twitter where I was starting to see stuff about Fried Kool-Aid, also seeing a sign for Fried Oreos while running, and I just started to name off random fried stuff on Twitter like Fried Vodka, Fried Jack Daniels, Fried Honey Buns, Fried Crunch N Munch, Fried Cambodian Milk, just quoted like what if I could be the Bubba of Fried Foods. Two, which can go hand in hand w/ the first one, I often like to express my thought, may just express myself more than the next man at times. I usually may tweet & update my FB status more than the avg man, but its just expressing my thoughts, Im hardly keeping things in. I might say someday off one day but its just me thinking out loud. I remember almost a year ago, I had this random chick questioning me about my education because of what I write & say, I attended the Univ of Memphis, actually planning of heading back to school to get my Masters, this blog is just what I feel & write, I can say some sophisticated stuff to impress, but I would rather keep it simple. But overall, just make yourself the best you can be, as well as making sure you live a happy life where you are actually working for goals, and if you not doing anything, you have no one to blame but yourself, so you got to get motivated. Thats about it, may read the Conversation in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I've been wanting to buy this book for my brothers and waiting for some good reviews.

    And feel free to always say how u feel however u see fit thru whatever social media u want. It's urs so u can say what u want. No matter what level of education u've acquired! :)

    ReplyDelete